If you have a User-Generated Content website or blog to share articles written by different authors with the audience, you might need an author box that displays at the bottom of your blog posts and provides biographical information about the author.
Having an author bio could help readers seek out more articles they enjoy reading. It also helps establish a trusting relationship between your website and your users.
There are already many themes (most of which are premium themes) that come with the Author Box feature.
For those who are using free WordPress themes without the author box, there are 5 best and full free WordPress author box plugins from which you can use in your next website or blog. Enjoy.
Originally Published Sep 03 2020, updated Apr 19 2022
Total downloads: 50,000+
Five Star Ratings: 100+
The plugin adds a responsive author box at the end of your posts, showing the author name, author gravatar and author description – author bio.
It also adds over 30 social profile fields on the WordPress user profile screen, allowing to display the author social icons in the author box.
- Shows author gravatar, name, website, description (author bio) and social icons
- Fully customizable to match your theme design (style, color, size and text options)
- Nice looking on desktop, laptop, tablet or mobile phones
- Automatically insert the author box at the end of your post
- Option to manually insert the author box on your template file (single.php or author.php)
- Simple Author Box has RTL support
- Simple Author Box has AMP support
- Great for guest posts, and guest authors
Total downloads: 40,000+
Five Star Ratings: 190+
An Author Box that’s gorgeous to look at and it makes your readers click all the way through to see more about the Authors.
- Google Microformats (vCard), to display Rich Snippets in google search results
- Easy to customize for each Author
- You’ll get Google Authorship on your hands For all your authors.
- Have it work only on blog posts, only on pages, or both!
- Links to the social media profiles of your authors: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Linkedin, Instagram, Flickr, Pinterest, Tumblr, Youtube, Vimeo
- Each of your Authors can have a different set of social media profiles added
- Links to all the articles written by that author
- A section that displays the latest posts of a certain author
- Themes to choose from
- Themes setup for each individual Author, to really make them shine
- You Can set the Name of the Author
- You Can set the Job Title of each Author
- Can set Company (with a link to the company’s site)
- Each Author can make the Author Box look like it’s her own
- You can choose not to display it for certain authors
- Removes any other author box from the page, so that there aren’t duplicates
- Enables you to upload your own image (so that you won’t need a Gravatar)
- Paragraphs in the Author Bio to have a better-looking text
- Displays the Author Box in the special pages built for each author.
- Special Pages for your authors
- Works even with sites that have woocommerce or other eCommerce plugins
- Add Starbox in your post’s content or WordPress widgets using the shortcodes
Total downloads: 20,000+
Five Star Ratings: 3+
A WordPress plugin to create a minimal clean post author box with social contact icons, author bio section, widgets on the WordPress website.
- Section title.
- Profile image layout
- Show author role or Not
- Show author email or not
- Author Widgets
- Easy to implement via shortcodes
Total downloads: 10,000+
Five Star Ratings: 6+
A highly customizable author box plugin that displays an Author Information Box on the bottom of the contents.
Total downloads: 9,000+
Five Star Ratings: 20+
This plugin makes it easy to display lists of user avatars, grouped by user roles, on your (multiuser) site. It also allows you to insert single avatars for blog users or any email address into a post or page – great for displaying an image of someone you’re talking about.
- Show a custom title (widget only)
- Only show specific user groups and/or hide certain users
- Limit the number of users shown
- Change the sort order of users or show in random order
- Adjust the size of user avatars
- Optionally show a user’s name or biography
- Show users from the current blog, all blogs or a selection of blogs (on WPMU/Multisite)
- Group users by their blog (when showing from multiple blogs), and show the blog name above each grouping.
- Support users from Co-Author Plus, Ultimate Member, BBpress and BuddyPress (xprofile)
- Limit the number of avatars per page for large sets by adding a page_size to the shortcode e.g. “page_size=30” (shortcode only)
If you run a blog and want an author box that stands out from the crowd, try one of these five WordPress plugins. We’ve researched and tested these author box plugins for about a year, to guarantee that they are updated and continue to work.
Hundreds of other WordPress author boxes just didn’t make the cut compared to these ten. We think that they are all well-designed, useful and easy to customize. Check them out, find which ones you like best and let us know which ones we missed in the comments section below!