If you have a rich WordPress site, you’ll need a way to keep all of your content organized so that users can find what they’re looking for easily. While you can have a graphic designer create this robust feature for you, you can easily do it yourself with a special plugin.
These plugins help make your website’s navigation more user-friendly, which is a huge plus when it comes to SEO and search engine rankings. Every website should be user-friendly and using this plugin in a great way to achieve this goal.
Also, using a table of contents plugin for your website can be a very effective way of conveying information to readers that visit your site. WordPress doesn’t have an in-built function for this.
As a company, brand or blogger that uses WordPress for their site, using a table of contents plugin will boost search rankings and improve the user experience. Just like a book has a table of contents, your website needs one, too.
This is especially true if your website is filled with lots of content, which can be quite hard to navigate with no map. Plugins are the easiest way to help users know where to look for content and improve your rankings.
Know not all table of contents plugins are effective. Some work better than others and you’ll only want the best for your website so here are some great options:
A user friendly, featured focused plugin which allows you to insert a table of contents into your posts, pages and custom post types.
- Automatically generate a table of contents for your posts, pages and custom post types by parsing its contents for headers.
- Optionally enable for pages and/or posts. Custom post types are supported, as long as their content is output with the
- Optionally auto insert the table of contents into the page, selectable by enabled post type.
- Provides many easy to understand options to configure when and where to insert the table of contents.
- Many options are available to configure how the inserted table of contents appears which include several builtin themes. If the supplied themes do no meet you needs, you can create your own by choosing you own colors for the border, background and link color.
- Multiple counter bullet formats to choose from; none, decimal, numeric and roman.
- Choose to display the table of contents hierarchical or not. This means headings of lower priority will be nested under headings of higher priority.
- User can optionally hide the table of contents. You full control of this feature. It can be disabled and you can choose to have it hidden by default.
- Supports smooth scrolling.
- Selectively enable or disabled the table of contents on a post by post basis.
- Choose which headings are used to generate the table of contents. This too can be set on a post by post basis.
- Easily exclude headers globally and on a post by post basis.
- If you rather not insert the table of contents in the post content, you can use the supplied widget and place the table of contents in your theme’s sidebar.
- The widgets supports being affixed or stuck on the page so it is always visible as you scroll down the page. NOTE: this is an advanced option since every theme is different, you might need support from your theme developer to learn what the correct item selector to use in the settings to enable this feature.
- The widget auto highlights the sections currently visible on the page. The highlight color is configurable.
Fixed TOC is a powerful WordPress plugin. It can scans headings through the post content automatically and create the table of contents, Fixed in the page display. Users can faster find the content what they want.
- Creating table of contents automatically from post content.
- Support post, page and any other public post types.
- Fully responsive. Adapt on any device size.
- Display on top of post content.
- Fixing to page.
- Support adding widget to fixing in sidebar.
- Scrolling smoothly to heading target.
- Indicating current visiting heading dynamically.
- Enable collapse/expand sub list.
- Customize freely position, size, font, color, etc.
- Support the shortcode feature that placed anywhere to show TOC in a post.
- Support the post that have ‘nextpage’ quicktag.
- Support Customizer live preview.
- Determining which headings to show in TOC.
- Showing a short hint when scrolling to the heading target.
- Create your favorite style freely.
- Set individual option for every page.
- Lots of animated effects for selecting.
- Translate ready.
- Support popular page builder plugins, such as Visual Composer, Elementor, Thrive Architect, Divi, etc.
This plugin automatically generates and inserts a table of contents (ToC) to your pages and posts, based on tags h1-h6. Whenever the plugin discovers more than a certain amount of headings (default: 3) the ToC is inserted at the top of the page.
Automatically generate a table of contents for any HTML container using a shortcode.
This WordPress table of contents plugin allows users to generate a table of contents which can be added to any page or post of your WordPress site.
This table of contents plugin supports building a multi level table of contents which is fully customizable. The plugin lets users create a content specific index of your content with shortcodes.
- Define TOC by tag, class and id
- Collapse TOC on page upload
- Automatically create TOC for all site pages
- Define TOC using unique tags on each post or page
- Insert TOC in any specific location on a post or a page using a shortcode
- Easily style the navigation table font size
- Support multiple pages TOC
Even if your website is filled with lots of content, it’s still a good idea to have a table of contents plugin on it. Plugins are easy to install and simple to maintain so you’ll be able to do the implementation yourself. Always look for a powerful, yet user-friendly, table of contents plugin that will help your readers navigate your website!