Data loss after a site crash, security breach, or human error can have devastating effects on an online business. WordPress Backup Plugins have become essential for all WordPress users.
You’re on the right page if you want to know what are the best WordPress backup plugins. As we all know, data loss is a common problem of websites today. Considering how important your data is, you can take some steps to avoid losing it. What if that happens to your website? Wouldn’t your visitors feel disappointed if they can’t access their favorite blog articles anymore? They might even become your competitors!
The backup plugins for WordPress will solve any problems caused by the failure of any kind of technical problem, or error in your hosting services. Most of these errors are not necessarily caused by WordPress but the failure can cause dire consequences that affect the performance or functionality of a WordPress blog.
So, backup plugins are an essential tool to help you prevent irrevocable harm to your website, site, and data. With handling backup issues so well, these plugins offer tremendous performance-based speed and can protect against constant data breaches that could affect your blog’s performance.
This post will provide you with a list of the 10 best plugins that back up your websites, blogs, and all the information and data. Enjoy!
Originally Published Feb 16 2019, updated Mar 09 2022
Total downloads: 3,000,000+
Five Star Ratings: 5,700+
UpdraftPlus simplifies backups and restoration. It is the world’s highest-ranking and most popular scheduled backup plugin, with over a million currently-active installs. Back up your files and database backups into the cloud and restore with a single click!
Backup into the cloud directly to Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3 (or compatible), Rackspace Cloud, DreamObjects, FTP, Openstack Swift, Updraft Vault, and email. The paid version also backs up to Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Storage, Backblaze B2, SFTP, SCP, and WebDAV.
- Restores, as well as backing up
- Backs up to more cloud options than any others
- Allows you to set up automatic backup schedules, for the ultimate in convenience
- Is faster, using up fewer server resources
- Has been tested on over 1 million sites
Total downloads: 700,000+
Five Star Ratings: 990+
The backup plugin BackWPup can be used to save your complete installation including /wp-content/ and push them to an external Backup Service, like Dropbox, S3, FTP and many more, see list below. With a single backup .zip file you are able to easily restore an installation.
- Database Backup (needs mysqli)
- WordPress XML Export
- Generate a file with installed plugins
- Optimize Database
- Check and repair Database
- File backup
- Backups in zip, tar, tar.gz, tar.bz2 format (needs gz, bz2, ZipArchive)
- Store backup to directory
- Store backup to FTP server (needs ftp)
- Store backup to Dropbox (needs curl)
- Store backup to S3 services (needs PHP 5.3.3, needs curl)
- Store backup to Microsoft Azure (Blob) (needs PHP 5.3.2, curl)
- Store backup to RackSpaceCloud (needs PHP 5.3.2, curl)
- Store backup to SugarSync (needs curl)
- PRO: Store backup to Amazon Glacier (needs PHP 5.3.3, curl)
- PRO: Store backup to Google Drive (needs PHP 5.3.3, curl)
- Send logs and backups by email
- Multi-site support only as network admin
Total downloads: 200,000+
Five Star Ratings: 1,300+
The BackUpWordpress plugin will back up your entire WordPress site including your database and all your files on a schedule.
- Super simple to use, no setup required.
- Works in low memory, “shared host” environments.
- Manage multiple schedules.
- Option to have each backup file emailed to you.
mysqldumpfor faster backups if they are available.
- Works on Linux & Windows Server.
- Exclude files and folders from your backups.Multiple languages.
Total downloads: 100,000+
Five Star Ratings: 500+
An all-in-one free WordPress plugin for WordPress scheduled backup, restore, and migration. All in one and Free.
- One-Click Site Move or Migration
- Upload Backups to Restore or Migrate
- Unused Images Cleaner (Beta)
- Schedule Automated Backups
- Restore A Backup with One Click
- Create A Manual Backup
- Filter Large Files from A Backup
- Large Database Backup Support
- Optimized for Web Hosting/Shared Web Hosting
- Set Backup Retention
- Backup Splitting
- No Limit of Backup Size
- Backup to Localhost
- Clean Temp Files
- Customize Backup Content
- Download Backup
- Instant Email Report
- Log Files
- Responsive Design
Total downloads: 100,000+
Five Star Ratings: 80+
This is a multi-purpose WordPress plugin which can be used to back up, optimize and repair the database.
Tthe plugin automatically creates a folder called database backup ensuring all of the most important files are kept in a separate area for recovery. The vast majority of cleanup options from this plugin are minimal at best however. It’s more designed for recovery and management.
Total downloads: 100,000+
Five Star Ratings: 60+
The WP-DB-Backup plugin allows you easily to backup your core WordPress database tables. You may also backup other tables in the same database.
- Allows to select specific tables to backup.
- Download the backup to your computer.
- Email the backup to an Email address you provide.
- Allows to schedule database backup.
Total downloads: 90,000+
Five Star Ratings: 140+
Backup with the most reliable backup, staging and restore plugin, BlogVault WordPress Backups. Trusted by 500,000 sites and counting, it ensures a stress- free WordPress backup and security solution in a single dashboard.
BlogVault takes smart incremental database and file backups. Backups are stored on cloud – BlogVault servers and on Amazon S3. BlogVault provides real- time backups for WooCommerce sites. It also facilitates backup validation, restore, migration, dedicated staging, site copying, website management with zero downtime and upload to Dropbox. It makes use of FTP, SFTP or FTPS for migrate/restore feature.
- Automatic Daily and Real Time Backups
- One-click Site Restoration
- Efficient, Incremental backup
- 365-day Backup history
- Backup to Cloud & Dropbox
- Perform theme and plugin updates directly
- Manage clients, team members, and websites directly
- Dedicated One-Click Staging setup
- Only WordPress backup plugin with free staging
- One-Click Migrations to 5,000+ web hosts
- Copy or clone sites with our backups
- Backup Restore Test from 365 days backup archive
- Organized backup history
- Safe inbuilt backup and recovery testing
- Automatic Daily and Real Time Scans
- One-click Malware Removal
- Hardening Site Security
- Encrypted, secure backups
8. Total Upkeep
Total downloads: 80,000+
Five Star Ratings: 200+
Total Upkeep is a full 360 solution that keeps your data safe and protects your website from catastrophic data loss.
- Automated and manual backups
- Full file and database backup or customize settings based on your needs
- Remote backups via FTP / SFTP, Amazon S3 and Google Drive (Premium)
- Total Upkeep checks to ensure that your webserver has the necessary features to properly create backup archives, which protects the integrity of your backups
- Clone, duplicate and/or migrate your site with just a few clicks
- Site Check monitors your site for issues that could lead to site crashes, provides a toolset to restore your site even if your WordPress installation is inaccessible
- Auto rollback feature creates a backup before updates, restores your site to the last backup if an update fails
- Create staging sites to test new plugins or themes with Total Upkeep + Cloud WordPress
9. Backup Guard
Total downloads: 60,000+
Five Star Ratings: 900+
Backup Guard is the most complete WordPress backup plugin. We offer the easiest way to Backup, Restore and Migrate your WordPress website. You can backup and restore your WordPress files, database or both.
- Backup site – backup site as many times as you want
- Backup files, database or both
- Choose which folders to backup
- Choose which database tables to backup
- Restore site – restore backups whenever needed
- Selective files or database restoration
- Download backups – download your backups on your computer
- Import backups – upload your backups to restore (no FTP required)
- Multisite WordPress Network is supported
- Backup cancellation – cancel the backup process
- Explore backup or restore log files
- Ability to specify custom exclude paths
- Ability to exclude database tables
- Live progress – precise progress of the current backup or restore
Total downloads: 60,000+
Five Star Ratings: 60+
WP Database Backup plugin helps you to create Database Backup and Restore Database Backup easily on single click.Manual or Automated Database Backups And also store database backup on safe place- Dropbox,FTP,Email,Google drive, Amazon S3.
- Database Backup easily on single click.
- Restore Database Backup easily on single click.
- Store database backup on safe place- Dropbox,Google drive,Amazon s3,FTP,Email.
- Search and sort database backup feature.
WordPress backup plugins are supposed to protect your website from data loss in the event of a serious problem. Yet, more often than not, when you are confronted with such an issue, it is too late for you to do anything about it. Either the data was already lost, or you underestimated how much the downtime would cost your business if the backup solution took too long to get back online.
With so many choices out there, it can be difficult for new WordPress users to know which plugin is the most reliable option. Hopefully, this list of the best WordPress backup plugins will help you decide. When deciding which backup tool is right for you and your site, our data can help. This should serve as a valuable reference point for those who want to keep their data secure.
These 10 plugins will alleviate any backup-related worries that you may have. Most of these plugins are easy to implement. Just two steps are usually required from you: install the plugin and set your backup schedule. For more detailed instructions, be sure to check out our step-by-step guides for each plugin—we also include relevant screenshots for each one.
You might also need a WordPress Security Plugin to protect your WordPress site with just one installation.