A WordPress membership plugin is one of the easiest ways to add user profiles and membership access on your WordPress website.
Installing one of these plugins can be one of the easiest ways to deliver several different methods of access to your site without having to do extensive site design modifications.
The Essential Features:
For any WordPress membership plugin to work effectively, it is important they have a few essential features:
- User account pages
- User only email support
- Member directories for backend development
- Front-end profiles for users
- Front-end registration access
- Easy Log in fields
- Drag and drop form builders for developers
- User role definitions for each level of access
- Content restriction redirects
- Developer friendly functions for sub memberships, pushing updates and more.
Why Install A Membership plugin?
Installing a WordPress membership plugin could be one of the best ways to improve traffic on your page as well as it many people involved in the process of signing up for your website.
Having exclusive content for members can help you to gather an extensive amount of user e-mails and it can ensure that you can always be prepared to offer exclusive content and discounts for your most valuable customers.
With multiple levels of access and an easy integration into your current WordPress website, setting up multiple levels of membership or a sign in function on your site could actually be easier than you might think with a plugin.
The 7 Best WordPress Membership Plugins
Here are the 7 best WordPress Membership Management Plugins we collected on the web. Have fun!
Originally Published April 2018, updated Mar 17 2021
Total downloads: 200,000+
Five Star Ratings: 1,100+
A User Profile & Membership Plugin for WordPress.
The plugin makes it a breeze for users to sign-up and become members of your website.
The plugin allows you to add beautiful user profiles to your site and is perfect for creating advanced online communities and membership sites.
Lightweight and highly extendible, Ultimate Member will enable you to create almost any type of site where users can join and become members with absolute ease.
- Front-end user profiles
- Front-end user registration
- Front-end user login
- Custom form fields
- Conditional logic for form fields
- Drag and drop form builder
- User account page
- Custom user roles
- Member directories
- User emails
- Content restriction
- Conditional nav menus
- Show author posts & comments on user profiles
- Developer friendly with dozens of actions and filters
Total downloads: 200,000+
Five Star Ratings: 590+
Members is a roles and capabilities based WordPress membership plugin. It gives your users the ultimate member experience by giving you powerful tools to add roles and capabilities and assign them to your users.
Members allows you to set permissions to restrict content on your site by providing a simple user interface (UI) for WordPress’ powerful roles and capabilities system, which has traditionally only been available to developers who know how to code this by hand.
- Role Editor: Allows you to edit, create, and delete roles as well as capabilities for these roles.
- Multiple User Roles: Give one, two, or even more roles to any user.
- Explicitly Deny Capabilities: Deny specific caps to specific user roles.
- Clone Roles: Build a new role by cloning an existing role.
- Content Permissions: Gives you control over which users (by role) have access to post content.
- Shortcodes: Shortcodes to control who has access to content.
- Widgets: A login form widget and users widget to show in your theme’s sidebars.
- Private Site: You can make your site and its feed completely private if you want.
- Plugin Integration: Members is highly recommended by other WordPress developers. Many existing plugins integrate their custom roles and caps directly into it.
Total downloads: 100,000+
Five Star Ratings: 460+
Paid Memberships Pro is designed for premium content sites, clubs/associations, subscription products, newsletters and more!
The plugin adds a new revenue source to your site and is flexible enough to fit the needs of almost all online and offline businesses.
- Manage professional organizations with thousands of members.
- Get paid for e-learning and digital courseware.
- Accept recurring payment for content, podcasts, video, and more.
- Create private social communities for unique interest groups.
- Develop robust directory or listings sites by topic or region.
- Offer product subscriptions or members-only product discounts.
Total downloads: 100,000+
Five Star Ratings: 370+
Advanced Access Manager is a powerfully robust WordPress plugin designed to help you control every aspect of your website, your way.
It gives you the ability to manage access to your website content for any role, individual user and visitors or even define the default access to all posts, pages, custom post types, categories, and custom taxonomies;
- Access & Security Policy allows you to define who, when, how and under what conditions your website resources can be accessed;
- Content access control on the frontend, backend and API levels to posts, pages, media attachments, custom post types, categories, tags, custom taxonomies for any role, user and visitors;
- Roles & capabilities management with the ability to create new roles and capabilities, edit, clone or delete existing;
- Access control to backend area including backend menu, toolbar, metaboxes & widgets;
- Access control to RESTful API;
- Developer-friendly API so it can be used by other developers to work with AAM core;
- And all necessary features to setup smooth user flow during login, logout, access denied even, 404 etc.
Total downloads: 80,000+
Five Star Ratings: 220+
A membership plugin for WordPress that is perfect for newsletters, premium content sites, clubs/associations, and more.
The plugin restricts selected WordPress content to registered site members.
WP-Members puts the registration process on the site front end so it is inline with your content rather than the native WP login page.
The plugin requires no modifications to your theme while remaining scalable for users who want to customize the look and feel, or want to restrict only some content.
It is a great tool for sites offering premium content to subscribers and is adaptable to a variety of applications.
- Block posts, pages, both, or none by default
- Block individual posts/pages
- User login, registration, and profile integrated into your theme
- Sidebar login widget
- Create custom registration and profile fields
- Set which fields display and which are required
- Notify admin of new user registrations
- Hold new registrations for admin approval
- Setting to automatically create post excerpts
- More than 100 action and filter hooks for extensibility
Total downloads: 50,000+
Five Star Ratings: 280+
A flexible, well-supported, and easy-to-use WordPress membership plugin for offering free and premium content from your WordPress site.
The simple membership plugin lets you protect your posts and pages so only your members can view the protected content.
- Unlimited membership access levels
- User friendly interface for content protection
- Have free and paid memberships
- Membership payments log
- Member login widget on the sidebar
- Works with any WordPress theme.
- Ability to protect photo galleries.
- Ability to protect attachment pages.
- Show teaser content to convert visitors into members.
- Comments on your protected posts will also be protected automatically.
- There is an option to enable debug logging so you can troubleshoot membership payment related issues easily (if any).
- Ability to customize the content protection message that gets shown to non-members.
- Ability to partially protect post or page content.
- You can apply protection to posts and pages in bulk.
- Ability to use merge vars in the membership email notification.
- Membership management side is handled by the plugin.
- Ability to manually approve your members.
- Ability to import WordPress users as members.
- Filter members list by account status.
- Can be translated to any language.
- Hide the admin toolbar from the frontend of your site.
- Allow your members to delete their membership accounts.
- Send quick notification email to your members.
- Customize the password reset email for members.
- Use Google reCAPTCHA on your member registration form.
- Use Google reCAPTCHA on your member login and password reset form.
- The login and registration widgets will be responsive if you are using a responsive theme.
- Ability to restrict the commenting feature on your site to your members only.
- Front-end member registration page.
- Front-end member profiles.
- Front-end member login page.
- Option to configure after login redirection for members.
- Option to configure after registration redirect for members.
- Option force the members to use strong password.
Total downloads: 30,000+
Five Star Ratings: 300+
WP User Frontend is one of the best frontend builder plugin for WordPress. It includes frontend dashboard, frontend editor & publishing, and frontend uploader for WordPress user profile, post submissions, and memberships.
- Update Profile from the Frontend
- Flexibility for admins
- Files & attachments
- Drag-n-drop form builder
- Publish your WPUF forms using Gutenberg
- Use anywhere easily with shortcodes
- WordPress Guest Post Submission
- Role Base Support
- Submit and update anything from Frontend
- Build customized forms with custom post types
- Set post status, post message, update post button text
- Custom Redirection after login and submission
- Earn with subscription based posting
- Schedule forms & restrict entries
- Get reminded with emails
- Integrate with Advanced Custom Fields (ACF)
- Create subscription packs, pay-per-posts & receive payments from users
- Manage Transactions
- Manage or Import/Export forms
- Custom Login/Registration Form
- Display Custom Fields Data in Post
There are many websites that have now set up exclusive membership access for their content and content preferences. Membership access like this can really improve your advertising content, newsletter access and more. Consider installing a wordpress plugin for membership access today.