WordPress is the best modern-day mechanism that you can use for your website. According to the recent study, it shows that twenty-eight percent website administrators use WordPress all over the world. WordPress is used to defend your website from being hacked. We can say that Word press is a wall between hackers and your secret data.
WordPress uses two secured elements on the website which protect it from being hacked. It uses HTTPS (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Security) which is a secure version of HTTP so we can say that to migrate WordPress to HTTPS was a good action. The function of HTTPS is to transfer your private from browser to your website securely. All the data that you sent from your browser to your website is secured and encrypted. Many big companies use it in big online transactions.
If we are talking about WordPress than we will cover a portion of the best WordPress security modules or they are also called Word press plug-in that can help diminish the danger of your site being hacked. These security plugins offer a few highlights to make your WordPress blog secure from any known or unknown vulnerabilities. These plugins cover the certain factors like control access, login security, spam assurance, content burglary insurance, reinforcement apparatuses, real document checking, email insurance, firewall and significantly much more.
Before we start this article, let’s first look at the security issues that you face when running a WordPress blog or site:
- Brute Force attack (How to fix it without a plugin).
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack.
- SQL Injection.
- Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) attacks.
- Database (Typically MySQL) security.
- PHP security.
- And much more.
In fact, there are many ways to secure your WordPress with no plugins:
- Keep your WordPress up to date.
- Use a complex, strong password.
- Regularly back up your files and databases.
- Check the file permissions.
- Select a good hosting provider like Bluehost.
- Add SSL(HTTPS) to your WordPress.
- Use a CDN (Content delivery network) like Cloudflare that will provide a basic firewall for your WordPress site.
This is a complex, time-consuming task, especially for beginners. For those WordPress users who have no networking and PHP skills, choosing a WordPress Security Plugin is a good idea.
Here are the Best 10 Wordpress security plugins to protect your WordPress sites with ease. We did the research for you!
Originally Published Feb 09 2019, updated Jan 28 2020
Total downloads: 3,000,000+
Five Star Ratings: 3,400+
This is the most popular WordPress Firewall & Malware Scanner on the web.
Wordfence includes an endpoint firewall and malware scanner that were built from the ground up to protect WordPress. Our Threat Defense Feed arms Wordfence with the newest firewall rules, malware signatures and malicious IP addresses it needs to keep your website safe. Rounded out by a suite of additional features, Wordfence is the most comprehensive WordPress security solution available.
- Web Application Firewall identifies and blocks malicious traffic. Built and maintained by a large team focused 100% on WordPress security.
- [Premium] Real-time firewall rule and malware signature updates via the Threat Defense Feed (free version is delayed by 30 days).
- [Premium] Real-time IP Blacklist blocks all requests from the most malicious IPs, protecting your site while reducing load.
- Protects your site at the endpoint, enabling deep integration with WordPress. Unlike cloud alternatives does not break encryption, cannot be bypassed and cannot leak data.
- Integrated malware scanner blocks requests that include malicious code or content.
- Protection from brute force attacks by limiting login attempts, enforcing strong passwords and other login security measures.
Malware Scan Features:
- Malware scanner checks core files, themes and plugins for malware, bad URLs, backdoors, SEO spam, malicious redirects and code injections.
- [Premium] Real-time malware signature updates via the Threat Defense Feed (free version is delayed by 30 days).
- Compares your core files, themes and plugins with what is in the WordPress.org repository, checking their integrity and reporting any changes to you.
- Repair files that have changed by overwriting them with a pristine, original version. Delete any files that don’t belong easily within the Wordfence interface.
- Checks your site for known security vulnerabilities and alerts you to any issues. Also alerts you to potential security issues when a plugin has been closed or abandoned.
- Checks your content safety by scanning file contents, posts and comments for dangerous URLs and suspicious content.
- [Premium] Checks to see if your site or IP have been blacklisted for malicious activity, generating spam or other security issue.
- With Live Traffic, monitor visits and hack attempts not shown in other analytics packages in real time; including origin, their IP address, the time of day and time spent on your site.
- [Premium] Stop brute force attacks permanently by using two factor authentication, one of the most secure forms of remote system authentication available.
- [Premium] Password Audit ensures your passwords are strong by simulating a hack attempt using our password auditing GPU cluster.
- The free version of Wordfence includes an excellent comment spam filter. [Premium] An advanced comment spam filter is automatically enabled for premium customers.
- Block attackers by IP or build advanced rules based on IP Range, Hostname, User Agent and Referrer. [Premium] Country blocking available with Wordfence Premium.
Total downloads: 900,000+
Five Star Ratings: 3,800+
iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security) gives you over 30+ ways to secure and protect your WordPress site. On average, 30,000 new websites are hacked each day. WordPress sites can be an easy target for attacks because of plugin vulnerabilities, weak passwords and obsolete software.
- Works to protect your site by blocking bad users and increasing the security of passwords and other vital information.
- Monitors your site and reports changes to the filesystem and database that might indicate a compromise. iThemes Security also works to detect bots and other attempts to search vulnerabilities.
- Hides common WordPress security vulnerabilities, preventing attackers from learning too much about your site and away from sensitive areas like your site’s login, admin, etc.
- Makes regular backups of your WordPress database, allowing you to get back online quickly in the event of an attack. Use iThemes Security to create and email database backups on a customizable schedule.
Total downloads: 800,000+
Five Star Ratings: 930+
An easy-to-use, feature-rich WordPress Security and Firewall plugin.
- User login security.
- User account security.
- System file security.
- A lot of firewall protection
- Database security.
- And many more…
Total downloads: 600,000+
Five Star Ratings: 320+
The Sucuri Security WordPress plugin is a security suite meant to complement your existing security posture.
- Security Activity Auditing
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Remote Malware Scanning
- Blacklist Monitoring
- Effective Security Hardening
- Post-Hack Security Actions
- Security Notifications
Total downloads: 200,000+
Five Star Ratings: 620+
An Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall plugin for WordPress sites.
- Run a Complete Scan to automatically remove known security threats and backdoor scripts.
- Firewall block SoakSoak and other malware from exploiting Revolution Slider and other plugins from known vulnerabilites.
- Upgrade vulnerable versions of timthumb scripts.
- Download Definition Updates to protect against new threats.
Total downloads: 200,000+
Five Star Ratings: 8+
This plugin is a security plugin that specializes in the login attack of brute force, such as protection and management capabilities.
- Admin Page IP Filter
- Rename Login
- Login Lock
- Login Alert
- Fail Once
- Disable Pingback
- Updates Notify
- WAF Tuning Support
Total downloads: 100,000+
Five Star Ratings: 400+
The Cerber Security & Antispam plugin defends WordPress against brute force attacks by limiting the number of login attempts through the login form, XML-RPC / REST API requests or using auth cookies.
- imit login attempts when logging in by IP address or entire subnet.
- Monitors logins made by login forms, XML-RPC requests or auth cookies.
- Permit or restrict access by White IP Access list and Black IP Access List with a single IP, IP range or subnet.
- Create Custom login URL (rename wp-login.php).
- Cerber antispam engine for protecting any contact form. Automatically detects and moves spam comments to trash or deny it completely.
- Log user, bot and hacker activities.
- Cool notifications with powerful filters for activities.
- Hide wp-login.php, wp-signup.php and wp-register.php from possible attacks and return 404 HTTP Error.
- Hide wp-admin (dashboard) and return 404 HTTP Error when a user isn’t logged in.
- Immediately block IP or subnet when attempting to log in with non-existent or prohibited username.
- Restrict user registration or login with a username matching REGEX patterns.
- Disable WP REST API or restrict access with your own rules
- Disable XML-RPC (block access to the XML-RPC interface including Pingbacks and Trackbacks)
- Disable feeds (block access to the RSS, Atom and RDF feeds)
- Restrict access to XML-RPC, REST API and feeds by White IP Access list with IP or IP range.
- Disable automatic redirecting to the login page.
- Stop user enumeration (block access to pages like /?author=n and user REST API)
- Proactively block IP subnet class C for intruder’s IP.
- Anti-spam: reCAPTCHA to protect WordPress login, register and comment forms.
- reCAPTCHA for WooCommerce & WordPress forms.
- Invisible reCAPTCHA for WordPress comments forms
- Citadel mode for massive brute force attack.
- Play nice with fail2ban: write failed attempts to the syslog or a custom log file.
- Filter out and inspect activities by IP address, user, username or a particular activity.
- Filter out activities and export them to a CSV file.
- Reporting: get weekly reports to specified email addresses.
- Limit login attempts works on a site/server behind a reverse proxy.
- Get notifications by email or via mobile push notifications.
Total downloads: 80,000+
Five Star Ratings: 800+
Secure Your Sites With The World’s Most Powerful WordPress Security Protection System.
- Super admin security protection.
- Audit trail activity monitor.
- Firewall protection.
- Brute force login protection and two-factor authentication.
- Comment spam (full replacement and upgrade from Akismet).
- Fully automatic black listing engine.
- WordPress lock down.
- And many more…
Total downloads: 60,000+
Five Star Ratings: 500+
WordPress Security Protection: Malware scanner, Firewall, Login Security, DB Backup, Anti-Spam & much more.
Total downloads: 60,000+
Five Star Ratings: 19+
An easy-to-use, safe tool to harden your WordPress site against exploits, malware and spam injections.
You can configure AntiVirus to perform an automated daily scan of your theme files and database tables. If the plugin happens to detect any suspicious code injections, it will send out a notification to a previously configured e-mail address.
- Virus alert in the admin bar
- Cleaning up after plugin removal
- Daily scan with email notifications
- Database tables and theme templates checks
- Whitelist solution: Mark suspected cases as “no virus”
- Manual check of template files with alerts on suspected cases
- Optional: Google Safe Browsing for malware and phishing monitoring.
Since by far most of the plugins are free of cost, take note of that they normally don’t accompany technical support. Hence it is imperative to be watchful while picking which ones you need to introduce on your site. In spite of the fact that there are modules that can do for all intents and purposes anything, some are significantly higher quality than others.
Keeping in mind the end goal to pick the correct ones, you ought to put forth several inquiries. To what extent has it been since it was refreshed? Is it good with the most recent form of Word Press? Are individuals finding solutions to their help questions?
So according to me, Wor press is the best security for your website as it is free and it is very easy to use. You can extend it by using its plugins and themes, it can handle all media, it is very easy to manage and search engine friendly.